CareersThe Port of Hamilton is home to many companies, in a variety of sectors. Please visit their websites to explore career opportunities
The Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority is looking for a dynamic individual to join our accounting team!!
Reporting to the Controller, the Property Accountant will handle the accounting for real estate leases and other property related financial support including managing the integrity of property customer accounts.
- The Property Accountant is responsible for various real estate related transactions using Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016 including:
- Liaise with Commercial Department to ensure lease updates are accurately incorporated into NAV.
- Prepare invoices for current and newly established leases including invoices for rent, security deposits, retroactive amounts and other
- Prepare property customer account adjustments including credit notes, account write offs and other adjustments ensuring proper authorization.
- Record and manage daily electronic deposits as well as backup support for daily deposit.
- Maintain monthly rent reconciliation for audit and internal control purposes as well as prepare and coordinate annual lease audit in coordination with the Commercial department.
- Update budget and forecast spreadsheets with lease information to ensure accurate revenue projections.
- Maintain property customer account data in NAV including maintenance of Customer Relationship Management system (CRM).
- Develop and issue relevant reports and ensure integrity of property and lease information in NAV.
- Prepare annual escalation charges for gross leases.
- Follow up and collection of all outstanding property related customer accounts well as:
- Preparation of the aged accounts receivable listing, update of explanations for outstanding account balances, issue of monthly customer statements and communication of aged amounts to necessary HOPA staff; Prepare detailed account analysis on an ad hoc basis.
- Prepare realty tax reminder letters for customers who have outstanding realty taxes with the City of Hamilton including follow up of payment.
- Provide support to the Executive Vice President concerning realty taxes and payments in lieu of taxes (PILTS)
- Various other activities including preparation of monthly invoices for Port Security Access Cards and hydro charge outs; processing and booking interest on customer accounts; providing support to the Harbour West Marina with aged receivables and collections as needed; post EDI and electronic deposits daily, act as support of daily banking as needed. Prepare daily and monthly bank reconciliations; assist Controller with month end journal entries; statistical analysis
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Business Accounting Certificate or Diploma – ideal candidate is a student in the CPA program
2+ years’ experience in a similar type role
Please forward resumes by January 17th, 2020, including salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About the Port of Hamilton
The Port of Hamilton is the largest marine port in Ontario, receiving approximately 600 vessel visits per year, both North American and international. The cargo that transits the Port of Hamilton is valued at approximately $2 billion, and is connected to $6 billion in economic activity and 38,000 jobs in Ontario.
About the Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority
Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority is one of 18 Canada Port Authorities, designated as stewards of critical national transportation infrastructure, and governed by the Canada Marine Act. Port authorities are mandated with helping to develop Canada’s regional and national economy. The Port of Hamilton provides cost-effective transportation for key industries and serves as a gateway to global markets. HPA is financially self-sufficient, and reports to its own Board of Directors. As a government-business enterprise, profit from HPA’s real estate and shipping-related functions is reinvested into port infrastructure for the benefit of port users and the wider community.
The HOPA is guided by our Mission, Vision and Values.
We are responsible stewards of the Port and its robust marine, road and rail network. We create prosperity by facilitating commerce and providing sustainable solutions that offer value to our port community and benefit to other stakeholders
Create and lead and integrated port network on the Great Lakes
Safe, empowered and positive team
Collaboration to create long term value
Accountability for our decisions and actions
Respect and inclusivity
Continuous improvement and learning
Opportunities with Port of Hamilton Companies
Hamilton Port Partners: The Port of Hamilton is home to many companies, in a variety of sectors. Please visit their websites to explore career opportunities:
Brewer Brothers Marine Supply
Bunge North America
Canadian Asphalt Industries Inc.
Clare Moore Refrigeration
Collective Arts Brewing
Dean Construction Co. Ltd.
Federal Marine Terminals
Fluke Transportation Group
G3 Canada Ltd.
Genesee & Wyoming
Great Lakes Stevedoring
High Road Logistics
Hydronic Parts Group
Kubes Steel Inc.
Lakeshore Sand Co. Ltd.
Maritime Employers Association
Mattawa Industrial Services
McAsphalt Industries Ltd.
North American Tillage Tools
Parrish & Heimbecker
Robertson Building Systems
The Port of Hamilton is the largest port in Ontario, contributing to $6 billion in economic activity and 38,000 jobs in Ontario.Learn More