Port Patrol OfficerThe Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority (HOPA) is seeking an individual to join our Port Security team PROFILE Reporting to the Manager, Port Security & Harbour Master, the Port Patrol Officer will assist in maintaining the security of the Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority’s Hamilton properties and port facilities. In addition, this position will also assist in the monitoring of ship traffic control for the Hamilton Harbour. Please note: To be considered for this position, the applicant must pass various criminal/security background checks and hold a valid driver’s license KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct mobile audits/inspections of the port properties to ensure compliance with the Port Security Plan (PSP), Marine Facility Security Plans (MFSP), Marine Transportation Security Regulations, and HOPA policies and procedures; enforce Canada Marine Act and Port Authority Operating Regulations
- Ensure security awareness and vigilance in the port and at the marine facilities, including awareness of changes in the Marine Security Level (MARSEC)
- Report security threats, breaches, and incidents to the Port Security Office (PSO), appropriate law enforcement agencies when required, and marine facilities and tenants
- Respond to and investigate emergency incidents/situations (including environmental); direct third-party responders
- Communicate with ship traffic/vessels via marine VHF radio on behalf of the Manager, Port Security & Harbour Master; ensure the safe movement of vessels in the Hamilton Harbour; Inspect navigation lights and aids
- Respond to and investigate vessel and marine occurrences (collisions, groundings, pollution reports, etc.)
- Ensure security equipment is operated, tested, calibrated and maintained in compliance with the Port Security Plan and security requirements
- Other duties as required
Marina Gas Dock AttendantThe Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority’s (HOPA) Harbour West Marina is recruiting for seasonal Gas Dock Attendants The Marina operates seven days per week, 7am – 8:30pm. Attendants will be expected to work on a rotation shift basis and must be available to all shifts (approximately 30 hours per week). The Gas Dock Attendant’s primary focus is to provide superior customer service while maintaining marina grounds, facilities and gas dock. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Providing exceptional customer service assisting customers with mooring at slips; fueling and pumping out holding tanks; slip rentals
- Perform regular daily general cleaning and maintenance of Marina facilities including washrooms, BBQ area, etc
- Aid customers arriving at fuel dock with; processing customer payments; balance transactions at end of day producing daily remittance/activity reports.
- Perform regular daily general clean-up of fuel dock area
- Perform daily ‘dock walks’ ensuring docks are in good condition, and dock/water are free of debris
- Monitor VHF radio traffic/gas dock phone and respond to calls
- Enforce Hamilton Port Authority and Harbour West Marina policies in a courteous manner
- Assume responsibility for additional tasks which may occur
- Excellent customer service skills
- Effective communication skills – both oral and written
- Ability to lift up to 25 kgs
- Must possess or be willing to obtain a valid Pleasure Craft Operator’s card
- Standard First Aid and CPR training considered an asset
- VHF training considered an asset
- Marina background an asset
Opportunities with Port of Hamilton CompaniesHamilton Port Partners: The Port of Hamilton is home to many companies, in a variety of sectors. Please visit their websites to explore career opportunities:
Brewer Brothers Marine Supply
Bunge North America
Canadian Asphalt Industries Inc.
Clare Moore Refrigeration
Collective Arts Brewing
Dean Construction Co. Ltd.
Federal Marine Terminals
Fluke Transportation Group
G3 Canada Ltd.
Genesee & Wyoming
Great Lakes Stevedoring
High Road Logistics
Hydronic Parts Group
Kubes Steel Inc.
Lakeshore Sand Co. Ltd.
Maritime Employers Association
Mattawa Industrial Services
McAsphalt Industries Ltd.
North American Tillage Tools
Parrish & Heimbecker
Robertson Building Systems