Hamilton Harbour is shared by many recreational vessels as well as over 600 commercial vessels each year. To help all users stay safe on the water, Hamilton Port Authority and Royal Hamilton Yacht Club hosted an information session for the boating community.
The session covered a number of important topics from racing and commercial traffic to the Burlington Canal Lift Bridge, and featured presentations by the Hamilton Police Services Marine Unit, Halton Regional Police Services Marine Unit, and the Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit.
In case you missed it, here are a few safety tips to help you stay safe on the water:
- Recreational vessels must give way to commercial shipping vessels
- If you a hear a series of sharp blasts from a commercial vessel, turn away immediately, get clear and keep clear
- Plan before you go, check the weather for your route, and let other know where you are going and when you will return
- Be aware of your surroundings and other vessels and be familiar with any navigational dangers in your area. Check your charts!
- Show navigation lights from sunset to sun rise and when visibility is reduced
- Stay clear of commercial docks and slips
- Never pass between a tug and its tow