Reporting to the Director of Maintenance & Fleet, this role maintains and provides for the safe condition and operation of commercial and industrial ventilation, heating and air conditioning units/systems throughout HOPA buildings/facilities.
In addition, this position may be required to perform a range of routine, preventative, and other scheduled maintenance tasks on a variety of piers and properties.
What you’ll do:
- Inspect, maintain and perform troubleshooting on commercial, industrial and residential HVAC systems including boilers, chillers, water heaters and furnaces to ensure efficient operation
- Perform preventative maintenance and emergency repairs; promptly respond to, assess, and complete emergency repair requests
- Diagnose mechanical and electrical malfunctions; install, replace, or repair damaged parts/equipment (heating/cooling elements, compressors, fans, coolant, motors, etc); contains costs by using warranty; evaluating service and parts options
- Install/replace HVAC systems including duct work, diffusers, registers and grilles; replace thermal couplings, thermal expansion valves as needed
- Assist with the HVAC planning & design of new and/or repair projects
- Adhere to all Ontario and Federal regulations regarding halocarbons and ozone depleting substances; monitors environmental and protection systems
- Perform a wide range of routine, preventative, and other scheduled maintenance tasks on a variety of piers, properties, marina related and various types of equipment such as plumbing, mechanical, heating, roads, rail, property, grounds.
This role will be based in Hamilton and will occasionally require travel to Niagara.
Education and Special Skills:
- Certification in HVAC, Refrigeration or Mechanical trades
- Gas Fitter 1 with installation experience
- Ozone Depletion Prevention certificate an asset
- Training/knowledge of Federal Halocarbon Regulations an asset
- 3-5 years minimum working as an HVAC Journeyman
- Experience working with boilers
- Experience working with sheet metal
- Sound knowledge of HVAC Mechanical systems
- Demonstrated technical aptitude and an understanding of computer programs and software as related to the HVAC industry
Starting salary of $68,000-75,000; commensurate with experience.
HOPA offers a competitive compensation package, including annual bonus program; defined contribution pension plan and health benefits; education support; employee charitable donation matching and more.
Please note, HOPA requires all employees to be fully immunized from COVID-19.
Who we are:
Recognized as one of Hamilton-Niagara’s Top Employers for 2022, HOPA is a small but mighty team of approximately 60 staff. We are comprised of experts in disciplines ranging from Engineering to Communications, and virtually everything in between. Together we manage Ontario’s largest and most successful port network, and we strive to do our job in a way that protects the environment and enhances our community.
We are responsible stewards of the port lands and their robust marine, road and rail networks. We create prosperity by facilitating commerce and providing sustainable solutions that offer value to our port customers and benefit to our communities.
Create and lead an integrated port network on the Great Lakes.
- Respect and inclusivity
- Innovation and productivity
- A safe, empowered and positive team
- Collaboration to create long-term value
- Accountability for our decisions and our actions
- Continuous improvement and learning
Everyone is welcome
As part of our commitment to inclusivity, diversity, equity and accessibility, our goal is a workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We welcome all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities, those who identify as Black, Indigenous or persons of colour, members of the LGBTQ2S+ community and others. We are happy to honour accommodations at any part of the recruitment process and invite you to let us know how we can help.
To apply for this role, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume.
We thank all applicants; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.