NEW ROLE!! Help us grow our positive Health & Safety Culture!
As an integrated port network, HOPA Ports offers innovative port and marine assets in Hamilton, Niagara and Oshawa. Across each location, our 60-person team includes experts in engineering, construction, maintenance, marina operations, finance, real estate, business development and communications. Together we manage Ontario’s largest and most successful port network, and we strive to do our job in a way that protects the environment and enhances our community.
The new role of Health & Safety Coordinator is a 3 day/week, contract position, receiving direction from the Health & Safety Committee. This role is responsible for the development, implementation and documentation of strategies, processes and programs to promote a culture of Health and Safety throughout all locations of HOPA.
In addition, this position will act as a safety champion, responsible to support the ongoing development and maintenance of HOPA’s Health & Safety program, performing safety audits, promoting health and safety awareness throughout the organization and assisting in creating a culture of ‘Safety Above all Else’.
- Act as a safety champion, promoting health and safety awareness throughout the organization, and creating a culture of ‘Safety Above all Else’.
- Research/review current and pending federal legislation, codes, standards and guidelines (i.e. Canada Labour Code, Occupational Health & Safety Regulations, etc.) as it relates to Health & Safety and provide information/recommendations to Human Resources manager and the H&S Committee; assist in organizing employee H&S training.
- In conjunction with department managers/supervisors, Human Resources and the H&S Committee, this role will assist in the investigation of workplace incidents/accidents; assist in determining root cause and identifying effective remedial action; ensure remedial action is in place and effective. Incorporate internal and external incident report findings to improve program.
- Conduct quarterly audits to ensure compliance with programs, policies & procedures (i.e. preventative maintenance, behavioural observations, workplace inspections, etc.); annual H&S HOPA program review; review/audit of H&S systems, processes and software; prepare and submit report to appropriate manager, Human Resources, and H&S Committee.
- Conduct field safety audits including employee safety audits and HOPA contractors; compare field observations to written procedures; act as an expert resource for H&S Committee; industrial hygiene expertise.
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or Occupational Health & Safety Management certification
- Effective communication, both verbal and written
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite of products
- Access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver’s license is required
- Required travel to various sites, Ports and HOPA locations (Oshawa, Thorold, Hamilton, etc.)
- May be exposed to inclement environmental conditions while conducting inspections of various worksites/piers/properties
- Exposure to open water, noise and dust during construction inspections
- Required to access construction sites where health/safety hazards may exist
- Office environment – may be required to sit for extended periods of time, frequent near vision use for reading and computer use
- May be required to work at heights
HOPA Ports is guided by its mission, vision and values…
Mission – We are responsible stewards of the port lands and their robust marine, road and rail networks. We create prosperity by facilitating commerce and providing sustainable solutions that offer value to our port customers and benefit to our communities.
Vision – Create and lead an integrated port network on the Great Lakes.
- Respect and inclusivity
- Innovation and productivity
- A safe, empowered and positive team
- Collaboration to create long-term value
- Accountability for our decisions and our actions
- Continuous improvement and learning
Please forward resumes by October 8th, 2021 including salary expectations to: email@example.com. Remuneration commensurate with experience.
“We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.”