Go West this summer! Join the Harbour West Marina crew in creating a fun and relaxing summer experience for our recreational boating community.
The Dock Master is responsible for the daily oversight of Harbour West’s summer marina facility. The Dock Master provides quality customer service to the boaters of Harbour West Marina through the effect management of the facility and staff during peak periods. This position is seasonal and is required to work weekends.
The Dock Master takes ownership of the customer experience with regards to cleanliness, service, general hospitality and fosters a welcoming atmosphere for all boaters.
The Dock Master takes action to proactively address customer concerns in an efficient manner.
What you’ll do:
- Work collaboratively with the Marina Manager in the day to day running of the Harbour West Marina facilities located at 1 Guise St.; ensure facilities are maintained to the highest standards.
- Frontline interaction with customers at the marina docks, providing excellent customer service, ensuring customers enjoy a pleasant & positive experience.
- Ensure customer concerns are addressed and resolved with a sense of urgency.
- Implement preventative measures to reduce the risk of issues reoccurring.
- Perform daily dock walks for the purpose of:
- Identifying and reporting any issues with customer boats
- Identifying and reporting any maintenance issues with the docks/facilities
- Engaging in informal conversations with boaters for the purpose of relationship building and the identification of concerns.
- Responsible to audit the dock walks performed by attendants to identify and collect unpaid fees and to ensure all boaters are docked in their correct slips
- Provide general information about the Harbour West Marina to customers and the public; provide information regarding boat slip and/or transient dock availability/rental; accept and record funds received for slip/transient dock rentals; issue receipts
- Provide quality tours of the facility and follow-up with prospective customers in order to complete boat slip sales; foster a welcoming environment for new boaters
- Provide training, guidance, mentorship and supervision for the Marina Attendants (up to 7); prepare Attendant work schedules ensuring schedule is provided one month in advance; follow up with Attendants on a regular basis to ensure task completion; set clear expectations for duties and their deadlines to ensure productivity
- Prepare daily gas dock remittances ensuring accuracy and completion;
- Enforce Harbour West Marina/Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority rules and regulations at marina facility; contact proper authorities for assistance when/if necessary
- Provide backup for fuel dock services as required (fuel, pump outs, etc.); ensure attendants are managing fuel dock traffic in an effective manner to ensure prompt service to customers.
- Promote and support a healthy and safe work environment, ensuring compliance with Health and Safety legislation, Safe Operating Procedures and Job Safety Analysis
- Other duties as required
The background you bring:
- Customer service experience required
- Familiarity with processing of payments whether by cash/credit/debit and their associated reconciliation
- Knowledge of boats considered an asset
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office products including Excel & Word
- Ability to learn and master new systems (i.e. Swell, When I Work, etc.)
- Supervisory/management experience of staff / group or team leadership experience considered an asset
- Personable, energetic, and customer-oriented
- This position is required to work weekends during the months of May through October
- Work under limited supervision
- Work in all weather conditions
- Working on or near water
- Work with fuel products & waste
- Physical; may be required to lift up to 23 kg
- All employees must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19
Compensation: $20-$25 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Work term: Approximately April through November 2022
About Harbour West Marina
Operated by the Hamilton Oshawa Port Authority, Harbour West Marina is a 350+ slip recreational boating facility located at the western end of Hamilton Harbour. Harbour West aspires to offer a first-rate boating experience to seasonal and visiting boaters. Learn more about Harbour West at www.harbourwest.ca .
How to apply:
Please send resume and cover letter, with “Dock Master” in the subject line: email@example.com.
Everyone is welcome
As part of our commitment to inclusivity, diversity, equity and accessibility, our goal is a workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We welcome all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities, those who identify as Black, Indigenous or persons of colour, members of the LGBTQ2S+ community and others. We are happy to honour accommodations at any part of the recruitment process and invite you to let us know how we can help.
We thank all applicants; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.