The Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority (HOPA Ports) is seeking a driven, solution-focused and dynamic individual to join our Commercial team.
WHO WE ARE
The Commercial team at HOPA Ports works with Canadian and international companies to facilitate trade across our growing port network on the Great Lakes. Our team identifies strategic growth initiatives and maximizes our assets through: leasing, investment, and partnering to develop trade and transportation-related infrastructure. HOPA’s Commercial team has attracted more than $350 million in investment in the past decade, and manages a portfolio of more than 150 diverse tenants and transportation partners.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
This is an exciting role for a smart, entrepreneurial, problem-solver. The Commercial Leasing/Property Coordinator is responsible for strategic business development and client management for HOPA’s diverse industrial-commercial portfolio. You will identify, facilitate and promote new business opportunities, manage real estate transactions, while cultivating exemplary partnerships with current customers.
Grow our real estate and cargo business by helping existing clients expand and attracting new business opportunities to HOPA owned and managed lands
- Accountable for delivering on HOPA’s brand promise to existing and potential customers
- Engage in commercial lease negotiations for new business opportunities and renewal agreements
- Work independently to identify and pursue new business opportunities
- Analyze lease and development proposals ensuring an optimal rate of return to HOPA
- Understand potential and investment needs of HOPA’s commercial assets
- Work with commercial team to develop and implement land use strategies plan that supports the overall objective of increasing the ports logistics capabilities and usage
- Ensure timely and accurate updating of CRM system Salesforce
- Consult with existing and prospective customers to generate HOPA solutions for commercial space and cargo
Negotiate commercial terms and follow through on execution of contracts
- Ensure that lease covenants and HOPA Operating Regulations are enforced
- Pursue legal issues such as lease defaults; interact with legal firms as required
- Undertake research and market intelligence to ensure that rents charged by HOPA for its commercial assets are in line with market
- Actively review and verify leases versus actual conditions for compliance and opportunities for growth
Manage day to day property activities and foster strong relationships with existing customers
- Establish solid relationships with port customers and new prospective customers as well as various stakeholders to ensure that business of the port is advanced effectively; conduct regular customer interactions; ensure timely and effective resolution of customer concerns; work closely with HOPA team to “quarterback” the customer relationship
- Represent HOPA within the Hamilton business community and relevant industrial business sectors
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Demonstrated track record of cultivating strong relationships with customers
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and understand project financials
- Province of Ontario Real Estate license considered an asset
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Transportation/shipping industry experience considered an asset
- Proven negotiation and sales ability in a commercial environment – business or real estate
- Strong understanding of legal documents and lease clauses
- Intermediate to advanced skills in MS Word, MS office, Outlook and a property management software program (previous experience with the Salesforce software considered an asset)
- Valid class “G” driver’s license; access to a vehicle for business use at all times
- Must be able to work well independently or in a team environment
Starting salary of $55,000-62,500; commensurate with experience.
HOPA offers a competitive compensation package, including annual bonus program; defined contribution pension plan and health benefits; education support; employee charitable donation matching and more. HOPA offers a hybrid work model, subject to an onboarding period and requirements of the role.
This role is primarily based in Hamilton, and will require occasional travel to our facilities in Niagara and Oshawa.
Recognized as one of Hamilton-Niagara’s Top Employers for 2023, HOPA is a small but mighty team of approximately 60 staff. We are comprised of experts in disciplines ranging from Engineering to Finance, and virtually everything in between. Together we manage Ontario’s largest and most successful port network, and we strive to do our job in a way that protects the environment and enhances our community. Learn more about us: https://www.hopaports.ca/about-hopa/people-and-careers/
Everyone is welcome
As part of our commitment to inclusivity, diversity, equity and accessibility, our goal is a workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We welcome all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities, those who identify as Black, Indigenous or persons of colour, members of the LGBTQ2S+ community and others. We are happy to honour accommodations at any part of the recruitment process and invite you to let us know how we can help.
Please note, HOPA requires all employees to be fully immunized from COVID-19.
To apply for this role, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume by March 28 2023.
We thank all applicants; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.